Thursday, February 14, 2013

What would your story be?

A song that is perfect for this theme for your listening pleasure:  song got famous after being aired on Grey's Anatomy Be warned - this blog is more on the pensive/serious side of the spectrum.  Maybe my old age is finally catching up to me........hahaha

So, for school, instead of writing a huge exam or having to do a dissertation/paper/thesis, we need to do work experience, which is awesome because it is hands on and is exactly what I want to do, but I never thought of the process of obtaining that experience.  When I went for my Legal Assistant Diploma, we had to do a practicum but I don't remember the process being this stressful or intense.  I was "cleared" to send out my resume to nine different practicum sites and each one needed its own cover letter.  I tell ya, I wanted to smash my head through a glass window every time I sat down to write one of those.  In one paragraph, I had to somehow tell the company about my experience and how I would benefit that company - what I would do for them.  I am not that good at talking myself up to begin with and to do it in one paragraph is freaking intense and stressful.  I wish I could have just written in the letter that I have experience working with difficult people, I can portray professionalism and I will benefit your company by just being myself as that tends to work just fine.  Oh quote Pooh as he seems to have the answer for everything.  It got me thinking though about myself, who I was, what I was doing, stuff like that.  Although this will sound very morbid, if you had to right your own eulogy, what would it say?  What would you want people to know about you? 

Kalyn and I went to the Portrait Gallery on the weekend and it was kind of funny as there was an exhibit of Ben Durham who does text portraits.  He got mug shots of childhood friends and their arrest records and drew a picture from text, a recounting of everything he could remember or have been told about that person.  They were really interesting (the picture is a picture of the painting that is made out of words).  When you got up close and personal to the picture, you could see the writing - lots of it wasn't legible but you could see letters and words.  It was such a unique was of creating a picture that it got me thinking again about a person's story and what makes up their past and present.  There was another exhibit where the paintings were based off of automythography, which is the process of identity formation that combines the real with the self-invented.  So here is another question for you to ponder - what would be your version of automythography? What would it look like? 
 
On a brighter note, instead of doing something American, I had an Indian experience.  The group of us girls went to an Indian Restaurant called Zaika and man it was so good.  Thankfully we had Riya (we probably would not have been there if she did not come to begin with since she spearheaded the outing) to order the food and get us the VIP treatment.  We had Aloo Papdi Chaat and Vegetable Samosas for appetizers, Chicken Tikka Masala, Paneer Makhani and Naan for entrees and Mango Kulfi and Kheer for dessert.  Such good food.  Definitely going back there again.  The waiters made sure we were always doing good, the manager kept coming by our table and even the owner came over to make sure we were doing good.  Beyond great service and food.  A very wonderful experience and outing with the girls. 

3 comments:

  1. I believe that our automytholigies can become our biographies if we keep this better version of ourselves in mind. Pooh is right! As I have prepared and given eulogies for others the question of what we leave has made me think. If I could be remembered as someone who made people smile, challenged without bringing down and helped without demeaning that would be enough.

    Good food is the fuel of dreams. Make them real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, what a great blog! An automythography, what an intersting concept.I am afraid mine would be filled self invented info, as the real me is not that interesting....lol
    Keep up the awesome blogging!
    Here's to an early Happy Birthday wish..
    ."You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
    — C.S. Lewis

    lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to go to the Indian restaurant when we are there!

    And I don't think it's morbid to think about what you would want people to say in your eulogy. I think it helps to dream about the kind of life, and legacy, you want to leave behind....

    ReplyDelete