Sunday, June 8, 2014

Cupcakes, JFK, Exorcist and Fat Elvis!!!!

My time is dwindling and my list is still so very long as to what I want to see and do while here so sadly, things will have to come off the list and I will just need to deal with that.  As much as I have wanted to be out all the time doing touristy things, the weather, dealing with moving companies, school and the weather (yes I mentioned the weather twice as it has been stupidly hot to be outside) have put a damper on things for me.  


However, one thing that I have wanted to do for quite some time is to go on a walking tour of Georgetown as there is so much history and architecture there to see.  So one day I ventured off that way and I am so glad I did.  The first thing on the list was the Washington Harbour (different than the National Harbour as I have so learned)  and man I could have spent all day there.  It was a gorgeous day so the Potomac as shining and glistening, the food smelled so good along the pier and I had a book with me to cop a squat and just love it.  But a)  it was hot and b) I had more of Georgetown to see.  I hope to get back to the pier though to enjoy it one day in the sun and screw the heat.  This is one of those many instances where I love being around water. 


The next on the list was to see the C&O Canal Towpath, which is what they used back in the day to bring stuff up from Northern Virginia/Maryland down to DC with no vehicles (at least that is what I think it was far).  Up in Great Falls there was reminients of the towpath so it must have been quite extensive.  This one here actually had water still in it so I could get a more visual representation of how it worked and what was involved for it to actually work.  Also, there were benches along the path so again, a kick ass spot for people to sit and people watch, read, whatever.  Georgetown folk have it quite gorgeous in there area, I am very jealous.  I also had the ability to enjoy a Georgetown Cupcake, which is the home of DC Cupcakes on TLC (https://www.georgetowncupcake.com/)  Usually the line up is around the block but thankfully the day I went there wasn't that much of a wait and I needed a little sugar to keep the walk going.  It was delicious!!!  It was on the smaller side of the cupcake spectrum for my liking, but still super fresh and the flavors were so unique.  I can see why it is a hotspot in the Georgetown area.  


Next was the Exorcist stairs.  Now, granted, I have never seen the Exorcist so I have no clue what capacity or context these stairs were used in for that movie, but I will admit, I could see these stairs being a tad creepy at night, especially if one has an imagination like mine.  I was standing at the foot of the stairs and I had to talk myself into climbing up the stairs as my imagination starting telling me that I was going to trip and fall down the stairs, I was going to feel a presence or ghost beside me, see something in one of the windows in the building beside the stairs, a whole bunch of everything really.  Here is a youtube clip of the stairs and the guy is talking about the scene in the movie so if you have ever seen the movie, you know exactly what he is talking about (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0CuofMisMQ).  I have never seen the movie nor will I ever see the movie.  Even trying to find the youtube clip is questionable as to whether or not I am going to have nightmares tonight.  



Another thing to see while in Georgetown is the many different houses JFK and Jackie O lived in while they were there.  I only took pictures of one, which is pretty famous in a way.  I pity whomever lives here though as they must get sick of all the people who stop to take pictures of their house, pose in front of it and whatnot.  It is a very kitchy area though and I would have loved to see the inside of the place but I think that would have been pushing the envelope for the people who live there.  If people do live there - maybe it is a historical building and nobody is there.  



I wish I could post all my pictures of Georgetown for you guys as it was simply amazing - the architecture, the university itself, everything.  As I kept walking, I found myself in Dumbarton Oaks/Rock Creek Park and it was heavenly back there.  So peaceful and quiet and surrounded by nature and water and gorgeousness.  First and foremost, this is the most kick ass tree I found.  Well, not found.  I think a lot of people have found this tree since it really isn't hidden. When I was younger, I always wanted a weeping willow tree as I thought it would be the best tree to curl up under with a book.  I lied.  This tree is the one I want for that.  But instead of curling up under it with a book, I want to climb up it and sit in some branches and read a book.  Hobbit-like.  It is such a kick ass tree.  I wonder how it got like that.  And huge, like freaking huge!!!  

Overall, it was such a cool area to be around.  I am very envious of the folks in that area as they have so many cool places to chill and relax in.  And Georgetown University looks like Hogwarts.  And the cemeteries around there are old and full of character.  But the last thing I want to tell you guys about is what I ate - it is called a Fat Elvis - it is a waffle with bacon, peanut butter, banana and honey, which was one of his most favorite dishes and it was delicious!!!!  I am so happy I got to eat it.  


I am really hoping to get a lot more touristy stuff done these next couple of weeks as my time here in DC is coming to an end and I do not want to regret not seeing certain things, but I think that will have to be the case as there is so much stuff to see and now I really don't have enough time to see it all.  That being said, I will be back in Canada in July so I can't wait to see you all!!!  It will be bittersweet to leave the wonderful people I have met here but will be so nice to be back on Canada soil and around family and friends there.  But I am not going to get into that now or else I will just depress myself.  I miss you all and wish me luck on seeing a lot more things!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment