Monday, January 19, 2015

Welcome to Hastings: population 25093 with a mentality of population 500

It has been a little bit over a month since I have moved here and every once in a while I toodle out and see what this town has to offer so come along with me for a ride and let me tell you some aspects of this town.

I have lived in cities and towns of all populations.  My hometown was only around (and under) 5,000.   From there I moved to Red Deer, which has a population of 98,585.  After Red Deer, it was off to Calgary, which housed a total of 1,149,552 people.  My first stint in the United States was Washington DC, having a total of 658,893 people.  So, as you can see, I have lived and experienced places of all populations.  Both have its pros and cons but I will say that I am a small town, country gal at heart.  And as 'big' as Hastings is, it has a small town mentality.  

I was quite excited when I saw this - I thought to myself 'oh my goodness, a real life, small town type of place, a general store!!! How cool is that??!!'   Yeah.  Not a general store.  At all.  It is a chain type of place.  Not a small town, locally owned place.  Not a general store in the sense of Little House in the Prairie or Corner Gas.  I was highly disappointed when I figured this out.  However, LOOK AT THE GAS PRICES!!!!  And remember, that is in US Gallons.  So much, much, much cheaper than Canadian gas.  It only costed me $20 to fill my car.  Authentic general store or not, I will gladly enjoy the gas prices. And apparently it has really good pizza, which I have yet to discover.  Oohhh on the topic of food, I have learned that chinese food here is different than chinese food up in Canada.  Not in the sense of the taste as that was the same, just in how they present it to you.  For example, I went there and got some beef and broccoli, general tzo's chicken and chicken fried rice.  I get home. all happy with my chinese food (which came about from our leadership meeting and somebody mentioned the influence that pizza commercials have on us and I started wondering why there are no commercials for chinese food and thus my hankering for chinese food was born) and went to open up the general tzo's chicken and noticed rice in the container and just thought that they put some of the chicken fried rice in the container.  That is fine.  So then I open up the beef and broccoli and notice rice in that one.  Again, just thinking that they split up the rice into the two containers.  I open the third (my math skills astounded me as if I thought they split up the rice, what was up with the third container) and notice a lot of rice.  I mean a lot.  Like a full order of rice.  So I look at all my food and notice an abundance of rice.  Lesson here - no point in ordering rice when it comes with every dish.  

Continuing on with the food theme, what the hell?!!  I never would have thought of this combination.  Peanut butter and pickles?  Absolutely.  Peanut butter, banana, honey and bacon?  Oooohhh drool with deliciousness.  But chili and cinnamon buns?  Really?  Apparently this is  a local favorite; something that people have right in kindergarten and is normal for them.  Kind of like moose meat and me.  Or peanut butter and pickles and me.  I should try this combination, I really should, but I just can't fathom the taste buds and the combination of the two.  But, to be immersed in the civilization of living in Hastings I should just do it.  And I shall.  One day soon in the immediate future.  And once I do, I will definitely update you all on what it is like and if I shall spread the word of chili and cinnamon buns.  

This place was sooooooo cool!!!! It is part of the Regional Center which is where Bridges used to be based before they moved into the houses.  Driving around the Center is so weird and cool and scary - definitely an old horror movie scene feel to it.  One day, when it is dark and creepy and eerie and foggy, I am going to head back out and take pictures.  Because I like to see if I can actually have a heart attack from hearing a twig snap or something like that.  I don't know how to explain the feel of this place - even going there in daylight my imagination starts going wild and I imagine seeing shadows in the windows and then screaming my lungs out.  This building is abandoned like most others.  There are some buildings still used but for most of the buildings, they are not used.  Which is scary and awesome.  Because, I mean, this building is deserted and not used.  The road to drive into this building is no longer a road.  And the parking lot is indistinguishable.  That is how old and not used these buildings are.  So, I ask you, if this building is not used and is basically a sitting duck for horror movie scenes, WHAT THE HECK IS IN THE WINDOW???!!! Here is a closer look for you.  
And now my eyes are playing tricks on me as I think I see a face to the right of the hanging thing.  And now I think I won't sleep.  Great.  But seriously, what is that thing doing there if the building is not in use?  And what will I do if I go back and suddenly the thing is gone?  Oohh so many scary things can happen on this property and since I don't have any self preservation, I want to go back at night.  And not sleep for a week.  But think of the pictures I could get at night.  I kind of wish that Bridges was still based out of this center as that would be wickedly awesome but it sucked for the individuals as it was such an institutional feeling (and correctional as well) so it was not a good place for them.  Thankfully I can head to the Center and experience it anyways.   One day I will have a full blown panic attack which will lead to a heart attack from scaring myself.  But I just can't help it.  This stuff is so cool.  

Today I got out of my house (and my kick ass new chair) and decided to go spend some time at the local coffee shop and get some reading done.  It was awesome.  I got a seat by the front window so I could people watch and read and just enjoy life at that moment.  I am trying to get back into reading; I used to be such an avid reader and miss it.  However, I am struggling as most of my books are on my kindle and I am psychologically stunted to read books on my kindle.  I like the feel of a book.  I like the accomplishment of turning a physical page.  Holding a book feels way better than holding a kindle.  I am struggling.  But if a person moves around as much as I do, having boxes and boxes of books sucks and having a kindle with a lot of books on it is very handy.  I don't know what it is though that stops me from enjoying a book on the kindle.  I am going to try to make this visit to the coffee shop a weekly thing.  Take a couple of hours on the weekend and just to chill and escape in a book.  It sounds wonderful.  That coffee shop is definitely going to be a hangout for me.  It isn't Lincoln or the WWII memorial but it is perfect for living here.  

All in all, I am really enjoying my time here.  Most people have the same initial reaction when I tell them I am from Canada; they say 'why did you decide to move to Hastings??!!!' in a very incredulous voice.  I actually don't mind it here.  Sure it doesn't have the funness of DC or a big city mentality (Walmart is probably the most popular known name maybe here.  Or Herbergers.  Which I have never heard of).  The town is a relaxing one.  I think I heard sirens for the first time a couple of nights ago. The pace is slow (but not so slow that it creates road rage) and it makes me slow down in my life and try to enjoy the moment.  And talking to people, Nebraska ha a lot to offer for sights so Hastings will be a good venturing point.  A lot different than DC.  A lot different than Calgary but it is a good different.  But then again, I have always had a small town mentality and not so much for a night lifer or hullaballoo type of gal.  Give me a rocking chair, some tea and my cross stitch and I am in heaven.  Oohh I need a rocking chair.  That is not the chair I got but now I really want one for my porch.  Sipping lemonade on the porch in the summer.  Very southern.  Although I am not really Southern.  More Midwestern.  But I mean I am Canadian, I do not think conforming to a specific stereotype will work for me.  Wow that was a lot of rambling.  

Anywho, I hope you enjoyed your glimpse into Hastings.  I like it here.  Maybe I have finally found my stopping place.  Who knows.  

Love you and miss you all!!!!  


1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to visit. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete