Sunday, July 19, 2015

Work is the best form of birth control for me.........

Lots of people ask me what I do.  Or what my day at work looks like.   Well not a lot of people.  I think when people hear I am a therapist/studied psychology, they don't really want to hear about what I do because they don't want to talk to me for fear of me analyzing them right then and there.  Unless you are my sister who blatantly asked me what was wrong with her.  How do you politely tell your sister she has issues??!!  And it is really hard to explain what my work day looks like as it changes.  I do not have the therapist type of job where I have my clients and all I do is prepare for therapy, do therapy and then do my notes on therapy.  That sounds boring (compared to what I have been doing).  


I am a therapist.  And a direct support professional.  And a supervisor.  And an Administrator on Call. And sometimes I feel like one of the individuals.  I help out where ever and whenever I can and I am pretty sure I have exceeded what my job description was.  I don't even know what that was.  And I have enjoyed all the different roles I have played.  Being a therapist is fun because I get to really learn the individuals and their histories and can smile when a minuscule breakthrough happens.  I loved being a direct support professional as I got to work with staff and get to know them and understand all their duties and what they face everyday they are at work.  I loved being a supervisor because I feel like staff were like 'oh shit, she has the phone' and then they would figure out things on their own because I would not make an executive decision for the life of me.  Working as supervisor, I either felt like I was putting on my batman belt with my phone, the supervisor phone and the radio or I felt like a drug dealer with that many ways to get a hold of me. I loved being an Administrator on Call as, even though it could get pretty stressful and hectic at times, some of the things I was notified about made me laugh and have a 'what the fuck' moment.  Actually, those moments happen a lot when at work.  


For the purpose of this blog and to keep all this HIPPA/HIPAA related, all the individuals will be named Joe.  That way they keep their identity and nobody is none the wiser as to whom I am talking about.  Unless you work there then you will know exactly who I am talking about.  But for you other people who don't have the privilege of working where I do, you will have no clue but will hopefully enjoy my stories nonetheless.  

I do not know how long it was after I started that I got asked to go with Joe to supper with his father so that way we didn't have to hold a staff to go.  I was happy to be asked but if you know me, I think the worst out of everything that happens.  For example, and I am going to jump trains here for a second, the very first time I went to meet some of the individuals, Joe was looking at me and after being told what some of his precursors were, I had no clue what they actually looked like, so whenever he looked at me, I thought to myself 'oh I am going to get punched.  Don't show fear.  Look calm.  Try to duck or dodge if I see a fist coming towards me'.  Oh that first experience was an eye opener.  Nothing did happen that first time and actually nothing has ever happened to me while with the individuals.  Except for getting kicked.  I was kicked once.  But it really wasn't that bad.  But now back to the other train- going to supper with Joe.  Joe has certain stipulations as to his liquids and meals.  Stipulations that sometimes he has an issue with and sometimes he doesn't.  Really hit or miss.  In my mead, he was going to have issues.  In my head, this is EXACTLY how the night was going to go:

  • we were going to get to the restaurant and Joe wouldn't be able to have anything to drink.  So then he would get pissed.  And when his food would come, he would be pissed that certain things had to happen first.  And when he got pissed he grabs a knife from the table and starts stabbing people.  And the cops are called.  And I get deported.  
This is how the night actually went:
  • we went to the restaurant.  Joe was civil regarding his liquids and his meal.  And redirected well when he wasn't able to have what he wanted.  
So yeah, I totally tend to think the absolute worst.  And at supper all I ordered was toast.  Which I didn't eat.  Because I was too afraid to vomit everywhere due to being so nervous and stressed out about the whole situation.  But nobody got stabbed.  I didn't get deported.  So it was basically a wonderful evening all in all.  

There was another memory that when I was with the individuals in the morning trying to get them up and motivated to get ready for their day.  Some of them are more motivated than others.  One morning Joe didn't feel like getting up and was sitting in his bed all grumpy like.  Somebody mentioned that it was going to be a sunny day and I looked at Joe and started singing 'sunshine, lollipops and rainbows, everything that is wonderful is what it is like when we are together!'  Joe looked at me like I was crazy but a big grin broke out on his face and he slowly started climbing out of bed.  The staff looked at me and asked me what I was on.  But it worked - it got Joe out of bed. People are work quickly realized that I am a morning person.  The first night I helped out as supervisor for 3rd shift, I got in at 2am and was chipper and happy.  Again, I think staff thought I was on something.  

Some days it feels like we are herding cats.  And I say that in the most loving and caring sense.  And this is also why work is the best form of birth control.  Some morning, trying to get everyone up and happy and out the door for work seems like an act of God.  I feel emotionally and physically tired by the time they are all gone.  I would totally be one of those mothers who has a drink once her children leave for school.  Between getting them up, helping with breakfast, meds, prompting some more than others to get out of bed, all the endless questions and conversation and the whirlwind of making sure they have everything for the day, it is tiring.  And I commend staff every day for dealing with that.  I do it at work.  Not at home.  Hopefully never at home.  Again, work is a good form of birth control. 

I will definitely miss hanging with the individuals and having conversations with them as most of the time, there was laughter in those conversations.  And lots of fist bumps and smiles.  And sometimes it was very hard to not just give one a hug if they were having a rough day.   I do not know how exactly to put in words all my experiences while I here, all the stories and conversations I had with some of the individuals that will always stick out in my mind but it was an experience unlike any other and maybe an experience I will not receive anywhere else.  The fact that Joe told me that I am the best female therapist he has ever had, or the fact that the psychiatrist offered to marry me if he wasn't married already, or the fact that some staff have been offering their offspring for me to marry to stay at my job makes me realize that people do appreciate all the help I have been providing.  It is kind of sad though that I realize/feel this way when I am leaving.  

I thank everybody for all the memories, laughter and experience I have received while working there. They welcomed my craziness with open arms and had to explain my craziness to new people as to 'oh she is canadian'.  There were many, many, 'what the fuck' moments but they were usually followed up by laughter to alleviate the stress and tension that followed.  Work will definitely be quieter without me there, that I am pretty sure.  But I will miss everybody there, from the individuals to the staff to my fellow office coworkers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment