Sunday, August 23, 2015

Day 3 of the 38 hour drive home. This drive: 9:31:57 of me, Border Crossing, and rain.

Well onto day 3 - the final day!! Yay!!!!!!

I woke up in Helena and actually had breakfast.  I think the first real meal I had in 3 days.  It tasted glorious!!!  I also forgot that being in Montana, people probably actually understands where Canada is and certain parts.  So when the front desk person asked why I was up at the crack of dawn and told them I had about an 8 hour drive ahead of me, he says 'oh that puts you right up around Edmonton'  Finally!!! Someone who knows Canada!! I could smell the Canadian Air and knew that it wasn't too long till I was back on Canadian soil.


The drive itself this day wasn't too exciting.  Which I knew was going to happen.  This day had a purpose.  This day was not for the scenery but moreso for the destination.  So in my car I go and hit the road.  Leaving Helena it was pretty - mountains and hills and scenery.  But it didn't last long.  Ohh oohh oohh and I finally say the Missouri River!!! A lot.  Kept winding around the road that I was on.  For some reason I want to say it was far more majestic at 5 in the morning when I crossed it in Pierre, South Dakota.  But at least I finally got to see it.  It was alluding me my entire time down in the States.  Which is funny as it is a pretty big friggin river. 


Anywho, not a lot to report on this trip in all honesty.  I drove.  And drove.  And drove.  And passed nothing.  It was flat.  It was boring.  And that made for a long driving day.  Finally I get to the border!!! Yay!!!!


And start panicking about what they are going to ask me, what if they search my car, lets not look panicky, everything will be alright.  And I start panicking.  And wait.  And wait.  And finally get to the border.  I was (or thought I was) prepared for any and all questions they were going to ask me.  Until they asked me what my licence plate number was.  Then I froze.  And mumbled something that resembled my forgotten licence plate number.  Apparently it was okay so the border agent took it.  He asked me some questions and then let me on my merry way.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  

And I keep driving.  And driving.  And driving.  And not see anything.  I think I was on one of the most desolate highways in Alberta ever.  It was crazy quiet and nothing.  Except rain.  Hit a lot of rain.  A common theme along my drive for the three days.

I finally get to the highway that will get me home and the last three days was all for something.  I pull up, scare the living bejesus of my mom as she was expecting me later and we start the fun process of unloading my car.  And I can finally say I am home.  Some happiness to be back with family and on Canadian soil, some sadness because I loved what I was doing in Hastings and some excitement as for what the world has in store for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment